Text rendering of Unicode text in LC

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Mon Aug 13 15:59:07 EDT 2018

Hi Richmond, thanks for your reply. I realize this is for most an obscure corner of the world.

> I don't know HOW you are getting the Chinese characters to show up, and as your sample
> does not contain selectable text I cannot "go backwards for Christmas" and work out
> what the Unicode addresses of some of those glyphs are.

This is a screen shot from virtual Windows 10 on my Mac in LC 9.0. On the Mac, of course, it’s beautiful. The exact same HTML displayed in LC 8 versions in Windows don’t show this particular problem of a visual mix of styles (there’s other problems). It’s a very large project, but I’ll prepare a small stack example.

> My own experience with Unicode in LiveCode has been confined to Indic, Slavic and Old English
> alphabetic forms and I have always ended up with "proper" anti-aliased true type representation.

I want to assume that “proper" display would happen here. LC 8 rendering is uniformly bad, not un-evenly bad as LC 9. The Chinese editor tells me that each character is too close to the next—it looks squished together. Words are made up of 1-3 characters and they need space around them. She describes the “bold” looking characters in LC 9 as looking like a display font, not for body text.

> ---
>
> At the risk of being seen as extremely goofy . . .
>
> Are ALL your Chinese characters contained in a single font?

Yes, I went back reselected text and set the fonts to make sure. I studied the HTML to look for anomalies, but all appears normal.

> [Even though that is claimed on the page]
>
> ------
>
> Certainly IFF all your Chinese characters are contained in a single font and are
> NOT differently weighted (i.e. some are not BOLD while others are not)
> I don't think LiveCode should be at fault.

Yes, that’s why I’m asking about the Skia rendering. Anyone at Livecode to help with this?????

> What makes things a bit awkward is how your text images online are generated . . .
>
> If you were to export a PNG or JPEG image from your textField inwith your LiveCode stack
> you would get an EXACT representation of what the field looked like.
>
> My experience of exporting a field as HTMLtext has also always been positive as long
> as the font of the resultant HTML page is a webfont derived from the font used inwith LiveCode.

I saved the HTML to a file, opened it in Firefox in Windows and it is great, as it should be. The same HTML displayed in LC is subpar.

> --------
> I won't pretend to understand what you say about Skia.
>
> But I do wonder why there has to be anything between LiveCode and your web representation.
>
> -----
> I, also, don't understand the necessity for Adobe Spark.
>
> But I'm one of those people who like to keep things simple.

Spark was a free, quick solution to get the images up.