Anyone using Older LC versions?

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Sun Aug 12 06:16:49 EDT 2018

Howdy Folks,

I am preparing to roll out some addon updates. Therefore, I wanted to
check which LC versions I need to support! What's the oldest version
that YOU would need? Or if you know someone else who's using an older one.

(Don't answer if you're just using 8/9; that's expected.)

I've always supported a range of LC versions, due to the different
financial/licensing and feature/bug circumstances that people have had.
And (contrary to some pop "CompPsy") it's usually not a big deal,
especially since I'm the middleware and the code already works. There
are some generational LC tech differences and new keywords that can lead
to optimization, but more often it's an arbitrary matter of which LC to
compile with, and more importantly, how many versions I need to test.

So...for the last few years I've been targeting 5.5 and up. This time
I'm wondering whether I need to continue supporting 5.5, or can I kick
it up to 6.7? It'll be one or the other. If anyone still needs 5.5 for
serious work, let me know.

(And yes, there can be some LC issues at least on Mac if publishing
standalones with older versions, very true and good to bear in mind for
security, UX, etc. But not everyone uses Mac or publishes standalones;
I'm supporting addon users with their workflows and the LC versions they
own, not policing or second-guessing what they do other than abiding by
the addon TOS of course. I guess we may be getting past the LC permanent
licenses where people would stick with a version to save money, but
checking anyway just to be sure of people's needs. My addons run on the
paid editions of LC, including Indy and Business.)

However, LC 4 is definitely out to pasture now as far as the addons are
concerned! :) There were generational tech issues between LC 4 and 5.5,
and I'll be optimizing some code accordingly. In the unlikely event that
anyone needs pre-5, there are still published versions of the addons
that should continue to work very well with them.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting