HTML to text in field

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 13:17:21 EDT 2018

Hmm . . .

On 9/8/2018 4:21 pm, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks Richmond, I will mess about with your suggestions.  It's always much appreciated when someone takes the time to suggest a complete handler.
>
> But …. I want more!
*
**Just as long as I can call you Oliver Twist. :)*

>   Can you see anything wrong with this?
>

> replaceText (ttemp, "<*>", "|")
*
**Dunno, I have NEVER used replaceText.

One thing I do know is that the in-built Dictionary in LC 7.1.4 is much
more Richmond-friendly than that in the 8 and 9 series.

Might not be a bad idea to try double quotes round 'ttemp': yes, I know that
sounds bonkers, but . . .

Ah, wait a malformed moment . . . I think you have got 'that' all wrong
insofar as I don't think
you can use a string-variable as the first term inside the brackets of a
replaceText thingy (I use the term 'thingy' advisably as
I haven't a clue whether replaceText is a function or something else) . . .

Have a go with this ever so-slightly retro, mechanical thing:

put ttemp into fld "TTTEMP"
replaceText (fld "TTTEMP", "<*>", "|"

Well it is probably a better bet than a sharp stick in the eye!
*

> or have a clue about the error message?
>
>   “button "Import HTML": execution error at line 7 (Handler: can't find handler) near "replaceText", char 1”

*Read "my crap" above.

Gosh, this Belarussian Stout really makes me 'artistic'.

Richmond.
*