valueDiff for arrays?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sat Aug 4 13:13:57 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-04 18:33, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Adding more such commands to operate on values instead of just keys
> would be handy, but not at all necessary.  There are more pressing
> concerns that only the engine team can implement, and scripting in
> LiveCode is something every LiveCode scripter can do.

Yes - so come up with LCS handlers which do that, share them, let's work
together to make them as efficient in LCS as possible and then see what
we can do in the engine to improve their performance (which I'm guessing
is as much the purpose for the proposition as the syntax).

If they show up more fundamental operations which they can be built out
of which can be made exceptionally efficient in C++ (because it has
greater fidelity at the bit/pointer/memory level), then we add those and
then the higher-level operations that use them remain in LCS.

The only difference between value manipulation operations in the engine
and in LCS is (at the end of day) the syntax, and the overhead of
maintenance. Maintenance of every single line of C++ code is at least an
order of magnitude mode expensive (in both time, man power and money)
than an equivalent line in LCS (otherwise we'd all be coding in C++,
wouldn't we?).

So - first - if you have an implementation of valueDiff - share it. It
means everyone can see directly in code, what your English description
actually means in effect. Then it means everyone can look to see how
efficient it can be made in LCS - and, also to see if it can be broken
down into more vastly more re-usable fundamental operations which allows
us all to build even more utility functions.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps