LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 1 20:24:36 EDT 2018

  Warren Samples wrote:

> On 07/29/2018 07:56 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> First question (an admittedly ignorant one, but I haven't spent much
>> time in the CentOS community):  Why does their package manager not
>> automatically keep system components current?
>>
>> Second question: If the first question cannot be resolved easily, what
>> is the advantage of CentOS for this project over Ubuntu or Debian?
>
> Richard,
>
> The explanation that addresses your first question can be expressed in a
> very long-winded manner but also boiled down to this: It's RHEL's
> approach to enforcing stability. They and their clients are interested
> in a system that gives them no bad surprises. This takes into account
> the fact that many of those clients are using complicated proprietary
> software for critical tasks; commercial software and/or software
> developed in-house, which is expected to be fail-proof. There's is an
> obviously ultra-conservative approach, but you can't deny they've been
> successful at what they do :D CentOS naturally inherits the result of
> this philosophy.

Ubuntu's LTS (Long Term Support) releases serve the same goal, with
similar methods:  patches are allowed, security patches can be
automated, but new features are held back until the next LTS release.

It's a tough call, though, with supplemental packages getting long in
the tooth.  In addition to the potential vulnerabilities, older packages
can introduce their own compatibility issues, as we've seen here.

I tend to stick with only LTS releases myself, so I appreciate the goals
with such things.

But unless one is managing a legacy system with known dependencies on
older packages, using a more recent version would seem a good fit, esp.
for non-experts, as it establishes a fresh baseline using the latest and
greatest.

I guess the missing piece of the puzzle here is why his VPS service
doesn't offer CentOS 7. But as you say:

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems