Detailed File Information for One File

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Apr 27 18:39:31 EDT 2018

> On Apr 27, 2018, at 13:39 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
>> Not to beat a severely wounded horse, but one reason for implementing
>> a detailed file function (and probably why it hasn't been tackled) is
>> that getting the detailed file information from a command shell is
>> decidedly  NOT straightforward.
>
> Shell is great for things we can't do in LiveCode Script yet may not warrant writing special C-based API interfaces for in LC Builder.
>
> But in addition to the complexity of attempting to rely on such interprocess communication across platforms, it also carries a certain impact on memory and performance.
>
> "Why run one process when you can run two at twice the price!" :)

<snip> Thanks Richard. I went ahead earlier and implemented the detailed files method and then filtered by filename & *. Works great. I have functions that takes the last modified seconds and converts it to an SQL datetime format. Now I can look at the filename (no matter what the path to the file appears to be to the end user's app) along with the last mod datetime. If those two are identical it is the same file, albeit possibly another copy, which doesn't matter to me.

I'm attempting to build into my app a files system with versioning and custom user/group permissions in anticipation of a workflow based interface. That will take the Forms Generator to a whole new level! Wheee!

Bob S