Detailed File Information for One File

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Apr 27 13:14:58 EDT 2018

Not to beat a severely wounded horse, but one reason for implementing a detailed file function (and probably why it hasn't been tackled) is that getting the detailed file information from a command shell is decidedly  NOT straightforward. *NIX has an ls function, and also has a date function. The date function cannot it seems accept spaces in the name, but will accept relative paths like ~/Desktop/test.xlsx. ls -r will only give you the year if the date is beyond 6 months from present. Date accepts a path in quotes or not, but if there is a space in the path you must enclose in quotes. ls decidedly CANNOT have a quoted path.

Windows gets dicier. Typically you would use WMIC and build a query, but I think it only works with local files, and not network shares (Parallels uses network paths for Mac FolderSharing). It uses back slashes, and these have to be escaped as in \\.

There are a number of other gotchas for each platform, but the upshot is that it's a beatch trying to piece together shell commands that work reliably in all use cases for every platform. I am sure that after a half a day and struggling through all the exceptions for each platform I could piece together a way to do it, but it's a real pig I can tell you.

Bob S