Typesetting Fields

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 25 12:12:35 EDT 2018

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
 > Where does livecode.wikia.com    come from?

It's a "semi-friendly" fork of the LC docs managed by a fella who goes
by "MaxV" in the forums.

It's certainly not at all "unfriendly" (such as some of the more hostile
forks we see in the Wordpress world).  On the contrary, he's shown great
dedication to providing current docs with enhanced content.  His work is
excellent, his intentions good, his timeliness exemplary.

Normally a "friendly" fork is one in which someone wants to take a
project in a new direction, and in discussion with the core team they
agree that each has a different vision and the proposed enhancements
would be unsuited for the main project, so a fork lets the new dev
scratch his own itch without interference.  The GPL welcomes such diversity.

In this case I use "semi-friendly" only to note that I've seen nothing
in Max's excellent work which wouldn't be welcome in LiveCode, but by
posting at a separate site rather than upstream at Github the main
branch cannot include those enhancements, so the value of his good
efforts is lost to most LiveCode users.

Max would be one of the shining stars of the LC docs project if he would
consider submitting his excellent content refinements to the main branch
at Github so they become part of the standard docs set.

As it is, we have fragmentation and duplicated effort.  Still useful,
but less so than sharing in the place set up for that.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems