Posting to LiveCode Server

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 20 15:03:06 EDT 2018

Tom Glod wrote:

 > I was going to use LC Server until I realized there was a built in
 > httpd server library present in LC 9.... I ditched LC server....
 > mainly because it smokes LC server in performance.

I would be interested in the details of that comparison, scripts and
metrics.

Despite its name, LC Server isn't a server, but a command-line app meant
to run under a web server such as Apache or LigHTTPd which supports CGI.

The httpd script included with LC is a server, but designed for local
use.  It may be useful on remote hosts; I haven't tried it.

So it's not so much:

LC's HTTPd  vs LC Server

...as it is:

LC's HTTPd vs Apache + LC Server

Given that all CGIs are launched, run, and quit with each request, and
that all LC processes (desktop or "Server") currently spend more than
two thirds of their launch time looking for and initializing fonts which
are very rarely if ever used (close to zero known uses with LC Server),
it certainly gives a potential edge to any LC process that runs that
unnecessarily cumbersome boot process only once and then remains persistent.

But on the flipside, Apache is written in C and despite its vast feature
set performs as well as we'd expect from compiled object code. My own
experiments using LC as a scripted HTTPd have managed to achieve only
half the speed of Apache -  and that was without attempting HTTPS, a
requirement for any HTTP server to be used outside the local network.

So an apples-to-apples test would pit LC's httpd on a remote server
bound to one port, with Apache + LC Server on that same system bound to
another port.

And for the results to be applicable to real-world needs, both would be
tested with HTTPS.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems