Contributing to the IDE

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Apr 20 04:47:25 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-20 10:29, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks for the clear rationale. I'll take a shot at building the whole
> thing tomorrow.

I should have mentioned in my post (although I think Monte made it
clear) that docs can be done entirely on GitHub. Doc entries are a
special case because they:

   1) Are largely independent of everything else

   2) Are mark-down like structure (and so can be previewed easily
enough)

   3) Are validated by our CI system when you submit the PR.

And Panos noticed that the version on the contributing to docs guide was
wrong - I'm sure you'll see that change shortly :)

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Are older versions closed to changes? If I find a bug in LC 8.1.8
> (or
> some update to it) is it pointless to fix the bug and submit a pull
> request?

So the rule is that we only maintain (i.e. will only release builds
from) two branches at any one time.

Right now 9 is in maintenance mode (develop-9.0) and 9.1 is the next
development version (develop).

Bug fixes should be applied against the current maintenance branch
(develop-9.0), additions/features and such should be applied agains the
current development branch (develop).

> 2. Is it fair to submit IDE pull requests the same way I might for the
> documentation? I.E., GitHub was perfectly happy to fork
> https://github.com/
> livecode/livecode-ide/edit/develop/Toolset/palettes/menubar/revmenubar.
> livecodescript for me, so it seems that if I update it, I could submit
> pull request for it, without having built anything. Obviously that
> beheads
> a significant fraction of git's functionality, but it gets the job
> done,
> correct?

Yes - you can - although I'd be wary of errors creeping in from doing it
that way (validating lc-docs is easy, validating code changes is very
very hard).

I guess for very very very minor tweaks you can copy-paste the code
you've tried into the github text file editor in the appropriate place,
and submit a PR. However, if those tweaks then need further work, you
then have to get that revision onto your machine and then re-tweak.

In the long run, though, that approach is only likely to cause things to
take longer and cause frustration on both sides.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps