Text to Speech

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 04:03:03 EDT 2018

Looking up revSpeak in the 8.1.9 Dictionary I found several things of
interest:

NOT for Linux.

Works just fine (albeit a bit slowly) on my Polycarbonate iMac running
Mac OS 10.7.5

on mouseUp
   revSpeak fld "ff"
end mouseUp

HOWEVER: this seems to presuppose text-to-speech IS installed in the OS
. . .

SO: revSpeak does NOT seem to be a self-contained system, but one that
leverages whatever the underlying OS has to offer.

[I could be wrong here; so, if 'the usual mavens' (Klaus ?) could
confirm/contradict, that would be useful]

When I set up a listField "VOX" (Hey, dead original or what?)

and issued this command:

put revSpeechVoices() into fld "VOX"

the list coincided EXACTLY with the voices I had installed in my
Operating System.

When I set the fld "ff" contents to 'fishfingers' the speech made a
'right hash' of things,
but did rather better with 'eat my socks': so you will find that the
capacity of revSpeak is
as good or as crappy as the underlying speech synthesiser (and, as far
as I can work out,
text-to-speech on Macintosh doesn't seem to have improved much since my
kids and I were
fooling around with it in Jeddah, KSA, in 1996, with Mac OS 8.1).

If one makes the "mistake" of doing a search for revSpeak in the
dictionary one
misses all sorts of useful stuff that DOES turn up if one searches for
Speech.

NOT knowing much about Windows, I don't know if a text-to-speech
capability is automatically installed
during a "plain vanilla" install: if it isn't, one has to consider
carefully about issuing standalones
for Windows that leverage this capability.

Richmond.