[OT, maybe] - configuring a Windows Installer for a Standalone

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Apr 6 11:51:00 EDT 2018

This all came about because with XP, if you logged in as an administrator account, any process that launched in that session ALSO ran as an administrator, which meant that it could modify system files. It was like a petri dish for malware. Just clicking to preview an email could ruin your day.

Apple already had a mechanism where processes that attempted to install or modify protected files or folders would invoke a User/Pass auth dialog, so Microsoft decided to mimic that, but since they didn't have the mechanisms built into Unix for that, the developed this dual level auth system where an administrator account was merely a standard user that COULD be elevated to administrative level, where as other accounts could not. In those cases, a user/pass challenge dialog is presented so the candidate process could be run as though a real administrator account had invoked it.

It's a pain in the arse sometimes, but it isn't difficult to understand what it is and why it's necessary.

Bob S