[OT, maybe] - configuring a Windows Installer for a Standalone

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Wed Apr 4 17:21:26 EDT 2018

Another deployment PITA.

I’ve got a standalone which is cross-platform and works well on Mac and PC. Unfortunately I’m having a lot of trouble with making a viable Windows Installer, using the Inno system. All goes well with the installation process until the user checks “launch” for the app at the end of the installation process. He/she then gets and error message (this is on both Windows 7 and Windows 10):

> C:/Program Files\Myprogram\Myprogram.exe
>
> CreateProcess failed: code 740
> The requested operation requires elevation

I have no idea even conceptually of what elevation means, and I have no idea how to correct this situation.

Since the installed program will run perfectly from an installed desktop shortcut, I would even be content if I could suppress the “launch” option in the installer, but I don’t know how to do that either - there is nothing obvious in the Inno documentation.

Can anyone who is more Windows-savvy than me (that’s most of the population) please help?

TIA

Graham