[ANN] Release 9.0.0

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Apr 4 15:54:40 EDT 2018

On 4/4/2018 1:51 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> @Peter
> One more thing to try before filing a bug report:
>
> 1. Clear Prefs again
> 2. Open LC, you should see the revFileAssociation dialog ("LiveCode files
> are not currently associated with this version. Would you like to make this
> association?")
> 3. Choose "Yes"
>
> Does the splash screen close after that?
>
> BTW if you want to close this stack manually, you can try that:
>
> - type in the msg box "close the mousestack" but do NOT press Enter
> - place the cursor on the splash stack
> - press enter
>
> I am wondering if an error occurs on startup, so LC stops execution, and
> the line of code in the IDE startup scripts that closes this stack is never
> reached.

I cleared the livecode7.rev prefs file (the only one I now have),
restated Windows 8.1 (64bit). Launched LC9.0.0 and responded "Yes" to
the revFileAssociation (which I had not previously been doing as I have
been working in 8.1.9 recently). No luck. The Spash remains and I have
the grey backdrop on. When I open Options in LC9 and click Reset to
Default, the backdrop clears, but the splash remains. I have to close it
by the message box trick. If I then quit LC9 and launch it again, the
slash goes away appropriately, but despite having reset the Options to
Default, the gray backdrop appears every time I launch LC9.

If I launch another version of LC (say version 6.7.11) and click Yes to
the file associate and then quit LC 6.7.11 and then launch LC9 and do
not say Yes to the file association, then the splash and grey backdrop
remain.

If I launch LC9 and say Yes to the file associate and then close the
splash manually and quit and launch again, the splash closes as it
should. However, if I change the file associate I am back to a always on
splash window in LC9.

So, summary:
Launching LC9 and answering No to the file associate leaves the splash
screen visible even when exiting and restarting LC9 multiple time as
long as you answer No to the file association.
Launching LC9 and answering Yes to the file associate leaves the splash
screen visible, but exiting and restarting LC9 resulting in the splash
going away normally after LC9 is up and running.
Again all under Windows 8.1 (64)
I have no idea why I am now getting the grey backdrop.