Autocomplete toggle?

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Tue Sep 26 21:45:47 EDT 2017

> On 27 Sep 2017, at 9:12 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Apologies Monte, I'm sure autocomplete will be handy at some point, but is there a command I can issue in the message box to turn it off for a while?

We have added a menu Edit > Options > Autocomplete to toggle it. It’s in 9.0 DP 9 and will be in 8.2 DP 2.

> Yesterday it went amok and I had to quit LC and restart to get normal operation back. In those situations it would be good to be able to turn it off.

Well those situations shouldn’t happen. Sorry about that.

> I don't have a recipe but I think it may have been related to remote debugging. As near as I can remember:
>
> My Android phone was cabled to the Mac and when asked, I clicked "yes" to start a remote debugging session. In this case none of my breakpoints triggered (not the fault of remote debugging, my breakpoints were in places that didn't run) so I quit the app. LC never indicated I had disconnected.

Hmm… it should do that when the socket is closed as the app is shutting down…

> I began to edit a script and the phone went to sleep. There was severe lag, the script editor started missing keystrokes and would then add them to some other place in the line. Every attempted correction caused other characters to be inserted somewhere else.

Wow that doesn’t sound good. I hope we can get to the bottom of it so it doesn’t occur again. Are you on 8.2 or 9.0?

> I tried to add a comment to a line and autocomplete kept inserting text for me though I didn't select any of the suggestions

What kind of text? The same as you are entering but added elsewhere too or something else?

> (shouldn't it ignore anything to the right of a comment delimiter?)

It should probably only present completions that are suitable within a comment context. I’ll need to think about that a bit.

> Eventually the script got so mangled I just quit without saving. I think if I had been able to turn off autocomplete from the message box I could have corrected and saved my work.

What this sounds like (at least I think it sounds like) is an autocomplete placeholder got messed up somehow causing typing in one place to also add the text elsewhere. If that’s the case then turning autocomplete off once it’s messed up won’t really help. There’s been a bit of movement in this code since DP 2 so it may be that your issue is fixed already. If you see it again do you think you could take some screen recording of it and send to me?

> We probably also need a way to turn off remote debugging when we're done with it, just in case.

Remote debugging might be a bit of a red herring here. It shouldn’t be doing anything unless there’s stuff coming in over the socket.

Cheers

Monte