Scrolling Groups on Mobile - Show a little of what is below

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Sep 21 13:57:36 EDT 2017

Yes… that's my plan… all I have to do is shrink the rows by 15 pixels vertically and the 4th one will pull up at the bottom of the screen. A bit tedious, but can do this with some toolbox scripts… so , not too hard.  Actually now that I have 24 objects = 3 each for 8 rows (each one has a bkgrnd grc, text label and small photo, kinda like the news articles toc style) instead of   8 groups with 3 child objects each… it's simpler to deal with… only thing being you can't code against a subgroup.

I'm trying to fix as much of the "bloopers" as I can because we are doing zero promotion until the android bug is fixed, just confirmed yesterday by HQ… Accelerated rendering, again, is a problem on Android.

So, though the initial app was accepted on iOS I'm treating it like a "beta test"

We also made some other bad decisions about navigation, leaving users with "where am I?" in some contexts.. which are easily fixed… which also leads to:

those  SVG icon widgets do not respond to touch unless the finger is exactly on the visible pixels…a big "house" or "journal" icon works.. but slim forward back arrows… not so much… users think the app is unresponsive, but it's just their finger didn’t "hit it exactly" so they keep punching at the icon  (like a right arrow, or back arrow) until they do… nuisance.

So where we use them for navigation I have to create a small group with a background graphic with a blend level of 99 or so and put the script into the group.  I guess this would be expected since the non-drawn areas of a SVG rect are be default transparent but we I see this everywhere: Spotify uses some really small icons, but I deliberately tapped just to the side of them and they still fire… so I guess the SOP is to increase the response region rect for any navigation where you don't need that area to do anything else… may as well give the user a lot of touch responsive area… Would be super if we could build this into the widget.. so you could, e.g set the width to 100 pixels height to 20 align the SVG to the left, center or right but the whole 100X20 region would be reactive, even if the SVG only occupied 20 X 20.  Is that worth an enhancement request?

BR

Kerner wrote:

    I agree with J.  The simplest visual cue that there is something in the box
    is for the lid to be ajar.  Cabinets with the door ajar begged to be open.
    Doors that are mostly but not completely closed are the same way.  Lists
    should carry the same cue.