LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1 Dropping Keystrokes in IDE

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Wed Sep 20 12:15:31 EDT 2017

On 09/20/2017 04:15 AM, RunRevPlanet via use-livecode wrote:

> Getting back to part of my original gripe, in effect what I am hearing is that
> it seems to be that part of the LiveCode Philosophy can be paraphrased as:
>
> "Well, if there a simple procedure that we at LiveCode can do that will catch
> really obvious bugs before sending out a DP, it is not worth doing because it
> won't catch all the bugs and have 100% percentage coverage."

My two cents here:

What you've run into is something that is *very* hard to uncover in
automated tests, of which there are quite a few and more added all the
time. I've added several to the test suite myself. But working with
something like the script editor really requires an interactive manual
mode to uncover discrepancies. It's not so much that you have found an
edge case, it's more that changes to code in the engine or IDE stacks
can have some unintended side effects for which there are no existing
test cases.

I think it's unfortunate that the team is reluctant to refer to the dp
releases as beta builds, because that's what they are. The alpha testing
is done at every build/check-in of code, and then at some point the
decision is made to release a new beta version for a wider target for
testing. Your finding the script editor problem with long scripts will
result in a fix that will help everyone who has to struggle with editing
scripts on Windows.

As a side note, the main stack script of the glx2 script editor is now
about 8500 lines of code, and it was previously about twice that, and
had similar problems with long scripts. In the process of refactoring
with an eye towards DRY and single-responsiblity code it got more
responsive. But this was nothing I could test automatically - more of a
recursive process of "tweak this, see what effect it has".

I feel your pain in regard to dp releases - dp6 is the last LC9 release
that is usable for me for a number of reasons, and the binary-level
incompability of extensions makes switching between LC8 and LC9 awkward.

> I can live with that because I love LiveCode so much

LOL. Understood.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com