[tsNet] tsNetSmtpSync

Charles Warwick charles at techstrategies.com.au
Fri Sep 15 04:57:10 EDT 2017

Hi Thierry,

On 15/09/2017 6:31 PM, Thierry Douez via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've worked hard with tsNetSmtpSync() these last days,
> on macOS Sierra with the latest LC 8.1.6
> and have 2 questions which bothers me:
>
> - from time to time (no recipe yet), I've got an error when executing it.
> Executing it again (same code and context) and all is fine then.

What is the error message that you get?

> - about the ResponseHeaders out parameter:
tsNet will try re-use an existing connection if there is one available,
so this first example:
> Sometimes I get:
>
> 220-xxx.yyyy.net ESMTP Exim 4.89 #1 Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:17:38 +0200
> 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
> 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
> 250-xxx.yyyy.net Hello zzzzz [99.33.77.88]
> 250-SIZE 52428800
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250 HELP
> 220 TLS go ahead
> 250-xxx.yyyy.net Hello pommeDesFouets [99.33.77.88]
> 250-SIZE 52428800
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
> 250 HELP
> 334 VXNlfg5hbWU6
> 334 UGFzc3sdfcmQ6
> 235 Authentication succeeded
> 250 OK
> 250 Accepted
> 250 Accepted
> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> 250 OK id=1dsT5O-002hrt-TA
Indicates that there was no existing SMTP connection to the server, so
it needed to establish a new connection.

Where in the following example:
> or this:
>
> 250 OK
> 250 Accepted
> 250 Accepted
> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> 250 OK id=1dsSmD-003WQr-2l
This indicates that tsNet found an existing SMTP connection to the
server you are connecting to, so could just send the message across the
already open connection.

You can add the "no_reuse" element with a value of true to the settings
array (last parameter to tsNetSmtpSync) if you want to establish a fresh
connection for each e-mail that is sent rather than allowing tsNet to
reuse an existing connection.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Charles