LiveCode Windows Applications on Ubuntu

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 00:24:08 EDT 2017

My take on WINE is a bit different from Richard Gaskin's . . .

I 100% agree with his: "Build native apps for Linux and enjoy better
performance and a simpler experience."

and with his:

"If it's for testing Windows compatibility, the emulation won't tell you
nearly as much as running a full Windows system in a VM."

HOWEVER, IFF (If and Only If) you end up with a LiveCode Windows
standalone in your hands which you HAVE to run and you
have no access either to a box or a VM running Windows then run it with
WINE.

I have NEVER had a system conflict with WINE, however the fact that in
the last 2 years the WINE menu system has vanished, so to
get at the settings one has to fiddle around with the terminal, makes it
a ridiculous time-waster if there are any other options
available to you.

I have a small 32-bit and a small 64-bit pair of computers set up in a
"murky corner" of my study with Windows on them
(my bank had some spare licences they gave me because I did some data
retrieval for them when they got "popped" by
some ransomware a while ago). As I don't like Windows I use them only
for testing standalones. As the actual computers
cost me $25 each . . .

Creating and using LiveCode Windows applications to run under WINE
instead of going directly for a Linux build is
daft when LiveCode standalones built for Linux generally run just as
well without the expectation that one's end-users
are to have WINE installed.

Oh, and if you don't find running LiveCode standalones built for Windows
with WINE exotic enough try running them with
ReactOS (http://www.reactos.org/), but remember to whip round to the
local apothecary for a large jar of headache pills first.

Richmond.