LiveCode Windows Applications on Ubuntu

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 25 20:40:46 EDT 2017

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

 > Recently, I was running a few LiveCode Windows applications in Ubuntu
 > (using Wine) and found that all of them run really well.
 >
 > Do you have some advice and caveats for creating and using LiveCode
 > Windows applications that runs fine under Wine in Ubuntu or any other
 > Linux distribution?

Only this: don't. :)

Build native apps for Linux and enjoy better performance and a simpler
experience.

It's been a few years since I used WINE, and it may well be that my
experience with it back then bears no resemblance to how it runs today.
But it felt very much a workaround, and the range of component it added
to my system eventually created a conflict with something else.

WINE helped make me a big fan of VirtualBox. :)

If it's for testing Windows compatibility, the emulation won't tell you
nearly as much as running a full Windows system in a VM.

And if all you want is to run a LiveCode app, a Linux-native build is
just one click away....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems