Autosaving stacks corrupted on network drives

tbodine bodine at bodinetraininggames.com
Tue Oct 24 15:55:42 EDT 2017

Hi all.

Looking for your insights on an issue. Here's the scenario..

I have a standalone Win/Mac app that autosaves user data to a stack file as
the user moves from card to card. Typically, files reach sizes of 100-200k.
Normally, this works great. But a couple of times a year, some user will
manage to get corrupted data causing his stack files to be unusable.

I've opened some of these corrupt stack files in a text editor and found the
data loss shows the Save operation was interrupted. There's no garble. Just
an abrupt end to the data and the file.

I've found a common link in these cases -- either the app is on a network
drive or the stack file is on a network drive.

My theory is that network save operations are slower than saving on a local
drive, and somehow this contributes to the data loss. But how?

All theories (except conspiracy) are welcome!

Thanks,
Tom B.