Word recognition

Frans Schoffelen frans at knowlegistics.com
Mon Oct 16 13:58:29 EDT 2017

> On 16 Oct 2017, at 19:00, use-livecode-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:
>

> Does anyone know of an implementation of an FFT function written in LiveCode?  I've tried joneslib but this doesn't include FFT. I'm hoping to use FFTs as part of my attempt to compare 2 short sound clips of people speaking a single word.  I'm trying to judge whether a single word spoken by 2 different people is the same word or not. Any advice or code that might help with this would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter
> --
> Peter Reid
> Loughborough, UK

Hi,

We tried to do this for a set of professional business english training software suites for companies ages ago.
We ended up using Microsoft Speech recognition with an External by Tuviah Snyder. On the the mac front we
used the speech recognition ( then in Supercard) to see if any of the words reconized was in the restricted
recognition target dictionary. Worked fine. However : If you are looking at precise comparisons of two phrases in the realm of :

“ Flying aunts can be dangerous”
“ Flying ants can be dangerous”

then you need word-per-word FFT analysis and the closest I have come were the libraries to
plot AIF files by Mark Smith, may he rest in peace. Stephen Barncard was so friendly to relay them
to me in 2016. Then funding stopped and I had to pursuit other things. But I would be very interested in
solving this as well, because it is a major asset when dealing with languages.( I’m an old linguist ;-)

I believe Stephen would not mind the stacks being out there. I just can’t gauge if they would be
any help in your endeavour.

Cheers

Frans

Frans Schoffelen