is a date

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Mon Oct 16 12:51:20 EDT 2017

This of course assumes you know tDate is supposed to be a short date.

I also have this function which is part of the master library methinks:

function formatDate theDate, theFormat
   /*
   Accepts any valid date for the first parameter. If not a valid date, it simply returns
   what was passed. Second parameter can be any of the following:
   sql date: date in the yyyy-mm-dd format
   short date, abbreviated date, internet date, long date: LC versions of the same
   julian date: Julian number based on (I believe) Jacques formula)
   */

   put the itemdelimiter into theOldDelim
   set the itemdelimiter to "-"

   if the length of item 1 of theDate = 4 and \
         the number of items of theDate = 3 and \
         item 1 of theDate is a number and \
         item 2 of theDate is a number and \
         item 3 of theDate is a number then
      put item 2 of theDate & "/" & \
            item 3 of theDate & "/" & \
            item 1 of theDate into theDate
   end if

   convert theDate to dateitems
   set the itemdelimiter to theOldDelim

   switch theFormat
      case "sql date"
         put item 1 of theDate & "-" & \
               format("%02d",item 2 of theDate) & "-" & \
               format("%02d",item 3 of theDate) into theDate
         break
      case "short date"
         convert theDate from dateitems to short date
         break
      case "abbreviated date"
         convert theDate from dateitems to abbreviated date
         break
      case "abbr date"
         convert theDate from dateitems to abbreviated date
         break
      case "internet date"
         convert theDate from dateitems to internet date
         break
      case "long date"
         convert theDate from dateitems to long date
         break
      case "julian date"
         put the date into theDate
           convert theDate to dateItems
           if  ((item 2 of theDate = 1) or (item 2 of theDate = 2)) then
                 put 1 into theDay
           else
                 put 0 into theDay
           end if
           put item 1 of theDate + 4800 - theDay into theYear
           put item 2 of theDate + (12 * theDay) - 3 into theMonth
           put item 3 of theDate + \
                       ((153 * theMonth + 2) div 5) + \
                       (365 * theYear) + \
                       (theYear div 4) - \