Expanded dictionary in LC 9

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Oct 6 04:52:51 EDT 2017

On 2017-10-06 09:41, James At The Hale via use-livecode wrote:
> I knew there was work behind the scenes with the documentation but not
> to this extent.
>
> While reinstating some formatting on the make docset stack I
> discovered than under LC 8.2 and below an enquiry to the dictionary
> yields 3940 entries
>
> In LC 9 dp9 the same enquiry yields 5646.
>
> A quick look reveals that one aspect of this expansion is the
> inclusion of synonyms.
> The glossary appears to be greatly expanded too.

Brian Milby (thanks Brian!) has been working on the docs in this regard
- things will change again in dp-10. He found a better way to handle
synonyms and such, which doesn't require duplicating entries:

   https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/pull/1765

The initial version (in dp-9 or dp-8) handled synonyms by making
duplicate doc entries; in dp-10 it has been changed so that searches and
such use the synonym info without duplicating them.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Also thanks to all of you who have been helping improve the
dictionary with the tweaks and changes which have been continually
submitted to it - the content and formatting of them is getting better
all the time!

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps