[OT] Alternative to Inkscape

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 5 12:09:37 EDT 2017

Bob Sneidar wrote:
 >> On Oct 5, 2017, at 07:58 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> Alejandro Tejada wrote:
 >> > In my humble opinion, after 12 years it has to be easier
 >> > to convince WC3 to change the SVG standard and adopt
 >> > Inkscape bottomleft page origin... :D
 >>
 >> If there needs to be a bad guy here maybe the better finger-wagging
 >> would be toward John Warnock, for approving a Postscript spec that
 >> uses a coordinate system unlike anything else in the computing world,
 >> bifurcating the software landscape into bottom-zero and top-zero
 >> camps.
 >
 > I suppose, but consider that we learned graphs all through school with
 > a bottom up left to right coordinate system, so that seems to me more
 > natural.

Maybe the bad guy is Euclid.

But even then one could argue that his thinking about coordinate systems
was influenced by the natural world, where the earth has a surface and
we measure things we make from that starting point upwards, rather than
from an arbitrary point in the sky downwards.

In that view, maybe the bad guy is everyone who made a top-zero
coordinate system, and Inkscape is among the few who've been doing
things right the whole time. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems