Line numbers for soft-wrapped styled text?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Mar 28 19:28:02 EDT 2017

On 28/03/2017 22:11, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> below you will find a tested binary search for the visible lines which
> uses item 4 of the formattedRect for the topLine and item 2 of the
> formattedRect for the bottomLine.
That's great - thank you.

However, I do have a couple of questions :

1. this uses a linear-interpolation for its initial guess for the
topline (i.e. the percentage, set to  vs / formattedheight). This is good.
But it then uses that same value of percentage for the initial guess of
the bottomline - which seems totally wrong. Should it not use a
different percentage
(specifically, the height of the field / (formattedheight - vs) with
maybe a minor tweak for margins) for starting on the bottomline calculation?

2. After the initial percentage calculation, all the recursive calls
just revert to simple binary search (i.e. percentage = 0.5).
Since the initial one is just an estimate, and can be thrown off by
variable line heights, this initial guess could be on the "wrong" side
of the actual answer - and hence all the rest of the recursive
iterations are done this "slow" way.
Why not recalculate the percentage for each recursive call ?

3. not so much a question as a bit of philosophical question ....
       is a line "visible" if it occupies screen real-estate but has no
visible pixels on the screen ?
i.e. the formattedRect has the same problem (if it is a problem) with
spacebelow as I mentioned earlier for formattedheight, so if the top
line within the visible field consists solely of the spacebelow a line,
then that line will not be included in the visibleTextLines().

Like I said, that's probably a philosophical question - but it does have
implications for how one could then set up the lineNumbers field; I
think you have to start it on the line before the "topline" form this
calculation, and then set the vscroll of the linenumbers field to match
the formattedrect of the next line of the original field (because you
can't set a negative vscroll value, so this is needed to push the first
visible line number downwards).