LiveCode's handling of Unicode glyphs being dependent on the underlying OS

Richmond richmondmathewson at
Mon Mar 27 07:56:34 EDT 2017

Here is an interesting extract from the reply I got from the maker of 
Unicode Checker:

"UnicodeChecker is being developed using the Objective-C programming 
language with the standard macOS developer tools, i.e. Xcode and the 
Cocoa frameworks. The display of Unicode characters uses the default 
system facilities of macOS. So there is no special handling of newer 
Unicode characters: While Mac OS X 10.7.5 does not support the latest 
Unicode versions when it comes to the character properties (such as 
„General Category“, „Combining Class“, etc.) it will happily just 
display any character that is present in a font, even if the character 
was not actually defined in the very specific version of Unicode that 
this version of Mac OS X supports."

Now what is interesting is that LC 8.1.3 on Mac OS 10.7.5 will NOT 
display characters simply as
characters, but tries to be too clever for its own good.

As I am the developer of a program that does "all the knitting" 
internally all I really would like is exactly
what this chap describes above. The fact that LiveCode seems to be doing 
some of "the knitting" off
its own bat and/or leveraging OS "knitting" is what is causing me problems.

I have already run the latest builds of my Devawriter on Mac OS 10.12 
and Ubuntu 16.04
without these problems.  However I have several clients who run their 
Macs on Mac OS 10.6.

Best, Richmond.

On 27/03/17 13:36, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> On 2017-03-26 17:48, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
>> Interestingly enough this FREE program for Macintosh:
>> Very successfully displays glyphs I have built into my Devawriter.ttf
>> font in comformance
>> with the Unicode version 10 Beta specification.
>> This all on my supposedly outmoded system 10.7.5 plastic box.
> Just an update here - my 10.11 box does happily display all three 
> characters as needed in LiveCode and other apps. When I initially 
> installed the devawriter font which was supplied, it must not have 
> installed it properly (I think I might have had an old version 
> installed). After removing 'Devawriter' completely (using Font Book) 
> and then reinstalling (by double clicking the latest version) - I get 
> all codepoints appearing as expected.
> Warmest Regards,
> Mark.

More information about the use-livecode mailing list