New Iteration of cleanASCII

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Wed Mar 22 18:21:04 EDT 2017

cleanASCII(pString, pModeList, pCustomChars)

Belay my last. I refactored the whole thing to be much more robust. Pass a string, a modelist and a custom list. This will act as a simple regex character filter for any string you pass it. (Great for filtering out hidden/non-printing characters!) If you only pass it a string and no arguements, it will return uppercase, lowercase, numbers and spaces.

The modelist can be any items in "tabs,newlines,returns,spaces,numbers,lowercase,uppercase,symbols,custom". If the modelist contains "custom" then pass any other characters you want to include in pCustomList.

Modifications welcome, but remember this is just a character by character filter and NOT a full blown regex replacement. That would put me in the funny farm for sure.

Bob S

function cleanASCII pString, pModeList, pCustomChars
   if pModeList is empty then
      put " 0-9a-zA-Z" into tAllowedChars
   end if

   repeat for each item pMode in pModeList
      switch
            break
         case "tabs" is in pMode
            put "\t" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "newlines" is in pMode
            put "\n" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "returns" is in pMode
            put "\r" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "spaces" is in pMode
            put " " after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "numbers" is in pMode
            put "0-9" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "lowercase" is in pMode
            put "a-z" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "uppercase" is in pMode
            put "A-Z" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case "symbols" is in pMode
            put "!#$%&'()*+,./:;<=>?@[\\_`{|}~^-" after tAllowedChars
            break
         case pMode is "custom"
            put pCustomChars after tAllowedChars
            break
      end switch
   end repeat

   put "[" & tAllowedChars & "]" into tMatchText

   repeat for each character theChar in pString
      if matchtext(theChar, tMatchText) is true then
         put theChar after cleanString
      end if
   end repeat

   return cleanString