Help troubleshooting IDE Script Editor Window Position

Bob Hall bob at bobhall.net
Tue Mar 14 12:12:20 EDT 2017

Is it possible to get the location of the IDE Script editor window? I need to confirm what I suspect is a bug in 8.1.3 and need the top coordinate of the IDE script window to confirm for bug report.

I have a multi-monitor setup for my dev machine. One of the monitors is portrait, the other is landscape (iMac 27”). As of 8.1.3 on Mac OS X 10.12.3, the top location of “system” windows (IDE script editor, answer/ask, toolbar as examples) appear to use the smallest value of EITHER screen to set the top location of the window and not the top of the monitor the window opens on.

This results in IDE script editor, answer/ask not being accessible/visible as it is off the screen to the top on the Landscape monitor. If the top of the portrait monitor is “higher” relatively then the landscape monitor, It appears as though the top location of the portrait monitor is used even when the window opens on the landscape monitor. I would like to confirm this behavior thus my question above.

I searched for a bug about this and while I’m seeing some that are similar, this I believe is a new one and is actually came from an LC9 regression. I’ve seen this same thing in LC9 since DP1 and now it appears in LC 8.1.3 but not 8.1.2 or prior versions.

For the curious… I will attempt to show in text graphics how the monitors are oriented.

(Screen orientation in System prefs using text — I hope this comes through)
______
|          |
|          |__________
|          |                 |
|          |                 |
|          |__________|
|______|

I use the portrait display for coding (nice and long with ability to have debugging displayed with lots of room). LC IDE/system windows on the landscape display have the top of the window set using the value from the portrait display (I think) as they display off screen to the top.

If I orient the displays in System Preferences as:
|______|

Everything works fine as the top of both monitors is the same. The issue with this is that the monitors are not“oriented to their physical relative positions so it's a little frustrating to move the cursor from portrait to landscape and back again. Not a big deal but different and kind of a pain compared to prior versions.

This behavior started in LC 8.1.3. LC 8.1.2 works perfectly.

Thanks in advance,
Bob