Download LC Community: trapped.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 9 14:19:32 EST 2017

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > Until a few days ago, if you went via the OBSCURE green button right
 > at the bottom-left of the LiveCode landing page [ www.livecode.com ]
 > to the Open Source page [ www.livecode.org ] you could, by clicking
 > on the "Download" text at the top of that page go to the download page
 > [ www.downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ ].
 >
 > But now you end up here: http://livecode.org/download-member-offer/
 >
 > If you don't want a membership you end up here:
 > https://livecode,org/download-with-donation/
 >
 > If you decide you don't wish to donate right now you still have to
 > specify a name and an e-mail
 > address.
 >
 > So: NO anonymous download unless you happen to have previously
 > bookmarked:
 >
 > downloads.livecode.com/livecode/
 >
 > Not good.

Agreed.  We all recognize the value of building a mailing list, but the
only emails worth sending are to those who want to receive them.

Optional sign-up is excellent.  Requiring personal information just to
download a binary, not so much.

People are increasingly concerned about privacy, and for good reason.
The open source community in particular is keenly sensitive to this
issue; they consider protecting privacy a critical priority.

If we are to expand LC's audience, we want it to be as easy as possible
for everyone to install it and start building great apps with it.

Anything that impedes that goal should be reviewed.

I've had discussions with the web team on related issues, and will
encourage them to return to offering unfettered access.

All of us want everyone to enjoy LiveCode, and if we're going to build a
growing ecosystem we have to remain mindful of details like this along
the way.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager