RSYNC still uses MD5 and...

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Wed Mar 1 07:47:22 EST 2017

On 01/03/2017 02:39, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode wrote:
> RSYNC would be a nice and useful addition
> to LiveCode engine.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync
>
> Could RSYNC be implemented fast enough
> using only LiveCode scripts?

The way that rsync uses hashes isn't at all problematic.  If an attacker
has the level of access to be able to introduce hash collisions into
files that you're copying using rsync, then you have bigger problems
than the hash collisions!

In my opinion, rsync isn't a wheel that needs to be reinvented using
LiveCode. :-)  However, yes, since rsync is almost entirely constrained
by IO bandwidth, there's no reason that you couldn't rewrite it to be
fast enough using LiveCode.

                                  Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>