Google Static Maps Problem

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 21:59:05 EDT 2017

Folks:
I’ve found a way to display an image of a google static map, in my app. It’s quite easy and well-documented. However, I need to get the lat and lon values of the corners of the map, at the displayed zoom level. There is a simple-looking javascript example for doing this at:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12507274/how-to-get-bounds-of-a-google-static-map <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12507274/how-to-get-bounds-of-a-google-static-map>
My javascript knowledge is totally minimal and I am loath to learn javascript just to get this one handler into livecode script.

What I have is an application that plots geophysical data on a world map. The map kind of ugly at very high magnifications and I thought the google map would give me a nice map image, with a wider range of magnifications, and minimize local storage space. What I will do is display the map image (centered on a particular lat/lon and magnification) in a rectangle, then take a snapshot, then copy my data symbols and images into the resulting snapshot. This works very will with my current map. I know that I can draw symbols directly on a google map using the map api, but it will be much more direct, and build on existing code, if I do it as described.

So if anyone who is familiar with javascript has a few moments to give me some pointers on how I might convert this to LCS, I’d very much appreciate it. What I’m scratching my head over is how to access the parameters from the Google API to do the needed calculations. The link above is to the javascript example.

Thanks in advance,
Bill P

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolution.org/