synonyms

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jun 29 15:05:56 EDT 2017

On 29/06/2017 19:11, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

>> That's possible in R, Python, CSS, and others, but not natively in LC.
> I suppose lots of things are possible in other languages. Are we trying to be just like all the other languages?

No. What we should be trying to do is pick out the best, worthwhile
features of other languages and see if they fit comfortably within LC.

One aspect of that is whether they will be either confusing to, or be
sadly missed by, many potential LC converts. So the fact that this
feature (with variations) occurs in so many other, popular languages is
relevant - it makes it, IMHO, unlikely they will be confusing to very
many people coming to LC from other (modern) language backgrounds, and
it also means they will be missed by many.

Even other languages not in the above list (e.g. Perl) which do *not*
have named parameters (or keyword args, or ...) do have simple, commonly
used ways round it - Perl passes arguments as a dictionary (i.e. an
array in LC terms), and has a simple, clean, succinct way to fill it
that dictionary either in, or immediately prior to, the function call.
So the benefits of the mechanism are known to even more people who
already program in a modern language.

-- Alex.