Server Installation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 27 19:43:35 EDT 2017

Simon Smith wrote:

 > What I like about this is that it lowers the technical knowledge for
 > setting up a server and is a great starting point as you just need to
 > figure out an SSH client.
 > I think a good shared host should always be considered as a first
 > choice when it comes to hosting anything - if nothing more than for
 > the time saving, the reduced stress and value.

Agreed.  With VPS pricing dropping almost on par with shared host
accounts I can understand the temptation to take on server
administration.  And as we learn, it gets to be ever more fun, empowering.

But like learning anything, it takes time.  You said it well last week
here on this list:

    I think it is worth saying that if you are wanting to host your
    own server online - it is well worth the pain of learning how
    to setup everything yourself.

    A control panel or a setup script would be great (my personal
    preference would be a setup script) - you do still need some
    experience to run a server online and trouble shoot any problems
    that can occur. Neglecting even something very small can have
    disastrous results - something I have learnt the hard way when
    I had a VPS hacked a many years ago. Learn the basic Linux
    commands, administer a firewall, use vim or nano to edit files,
    setup cron jobs, restart services, monitor resources, manage
    user rights, setup sftp or ftp, tweak mysql etc. You will be
    a better developer for it.

Automation is a great way to speed up routine things - once they become
routine.

Relying on automation as a substitute for learning may carry the
illusion well enough that it was a good move -- as long as things remain
routine.

But the moment anything non-routine happens, cargo cult development will
be cause for regret.

When I teach I feel it's important to include WHY in addition to HOW.

Some get impatient, and say, "Just give me the HOW, I don't need to know
WHY".

But if you learn the WHY, you can usually figure out just about any HOW
that comes your way.

And if you don't have the time or interest to learn the WHY of server
admin, paying a professional to do that for you with shared hosting is a
good way to go.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems