synonyms

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 26 16:29:02 EDT 2017

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > I think that it is probably generally true that the more synonyms
 > and ways of saying the same thing a language has, the easier it is
 > to learn.
 >
 > This is also borne out by Linguistic research.

Linguistics for communicating with humans follows different rules than
the linguistics used for communicating with machines.

Their purpose and scope is vastly different, so it should not be
surprising that what is "best" for one isn't necessarily "best" in another.

Indeed, most natural languages have no "best"; only artificial languages
like Esperanto and the older Boontling are "designed" at all.  Natural
languages are multi-millennial accidents-in-the-making.

In stark contrast. programming languages have a very narrow scope, and
are not only explicitly designed by necessity, but usually quite
narrowly, as they attempt to communicate with a machine too stupid to
count past 1.

Consider Python, the world's fourth-most-popular language, and perhaps
the leading language for introducing newcomers to programming.

Among the core principles of Python's language design is:

"There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."
- Guido van Rossum
<http://python-history.blogspot.com/2009/01/pythons-design-philosophy.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin