First 1000 characters without loop?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 22 20:06:22 EDT 2017

Monte Goulding wrote:

 >> On 23 Jun 2017, at 7:18 am, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> is that true that UTF-16 gives us two-bytes per char across the
 >> board?
 >
 > That’s true (the 16 means 16 bit) but internally strings may be either
 > native 8 bit or unicode 16 bit.

How can we know which is in use for a given string?

Suppose I wanted to process a lot of text, so performance is critical.
Using bytes would be optimal, since any chunk type or even Unicode
characters may vary in length.

So if I wanted to create an index of byte offsets into a large chunk of
text, how would I know how long a character is?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems