asynchronous sockets

Charles Warwick charles at techstrategies.com.au
Fri Jun 16 01:38:02 EDT 2017

On 16/06/2017 2:39 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 16 Jun 2017, at 2:22 pm, Tom Glod via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm relieved to hear that.... I think I misunderstood Todd's blog... maybe
>> his was a purely volume related bottleneck and not the library he was using.
> Ah, yes his is a use case that had lots of requests running in parallel and from the looks of things to the same API which libURL doesn’t cope with (would need a redesign to have request IDs rather than using the URL as the ID). I’m not sure if he needed asynchronous put, post or delete but that’s also something libURL doesn’t do. So the sockets are fine it’s just libURL implementation that would need some help to meet Todd’s requirements.
In Todd's application there was a requirement for asynchronous HTTP POST
requests which aren't supported in libURL.

Without tsNet, POST requests need to be sent in series.... "post tData
to url xxx", wait for the response and then issue the next post.   From
memory, his application sends over 1000 POSTs to perform a sync and
running them "one at a time" really slowed the process down.

By using the asynchronous POST capabilities of tsNet, a lot of these
requests could be sent without waiting for others to complete.  This is
what provided the dramatic performance improvement he saw.

Regards,

Charles