[ANN] Release 8.1.5 RC-1

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 03:51:38 EDT 2017

On 6/15/17 2:06 am, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

> Richmond:
>
> > The whole discussion is becoming a "pane" and I for one am "board".
> > "a real Windows machine" is almost as meaningful as phrases such as
> > "real men stand up to pee".
>
> It was clear; you confirmed your own understanding in that very first
> post, so I saw the objection as more of an attempt to signal virtue.
> If that helps anyone feel some self esteem, I'm glad. This machine was
> designed specifically for Windows, so the description is appropriate.
>
> And maybe more relevant to testing LiveCode 815 than standing to pee.
>
> But on that subject, which I never imagined seeing here, I would
> advise males to pee in the most manly way possible during coding
> breaks. Stand proudly, preferably sporting a Molon Labe T-shirt and
> oversized belt buckle with a rebel design. Extra points for carrying
> around a bowie knife or a LiveCode powered mobile web server. Use this
> moment to celebrate the masculine heritage that only real men can
> fully experience and embody as they pee. Then go back and dominate
> that code like a true alpha!
>
> Does that seem like we're getting off track a little?

Just a spot . . .

However, just at the moment I am gearing up to use 8.1.4 with the kids
on my summer courses (so not much time to test
8.1.5) and excited about that: mainly because each year I have kids
working with LiveCode they discover/uncover ways
of doing things I never dreamt of . . .

. . . another thing that makes LiveCode so fantastic!

> Oh yes, I was saying that this LC version is working much better on my
> machine than the previous two. It makes an efficient 8 workflow
> possible, and that is much appreciated. Thought the feedback might be
> useful. I usually don't install the RCs, but I'm glad I tried this
> one, so don't hesitate - it truly makes life easier, at least on -
> ahem - Windows.

That reminds me: I have to dig out the machine running ReactOS from
under the bed (so called because most people's reaction
on seeing it is . . . ) and try to run the latest Windows version there,
and on WINE on Linux.

While standing to pee maybe . . . running the Windows version of LC on
ReactOS is . . . . probably plain daft!

Richmond.