"For Young Coders"

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 12:42:35 EDT 2017

I don't know.

BUT . . .

Today I had a classroom of 9-10 year olds doing simple Mathematics with
BBC BASIC in BBC Micro emulators

[ http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/ ]

and one kid really "made my day" when he said, "Wow, this is serious
programming,
not like that baby Scratch thing."

Research seems to suggest that while children rapidly become adept at
assembling sub-Super Mario type
games in Scratch and related block-coding things the theory that they
will easily transition from that to
programming-qua-programming is not true owing to they not having got the
simple stuff of:

constants, variables, strings, looping and branching

under their belts in a readily transferrable form.

Richmond.