Instantiaing Grouped Controls - Templates - Responsive

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jun 8 16:33:58 EDT 2017

On 08/06/2017 20:20, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> In general I try to "go to TOWN": Touch Only What's Needed.
>
> If I don't need to create an object I probably won't, adjusting an
> existing object instead.  It only saves one step, but its a savings
> just the same.
>
> If you're committed to a script-only stack there's no decision to
> make: every control must be instantiated dynamically, because a
> script-only stack contains the stack script only, no objects.

Well, not quite "every control".

You could :
  - if the relevant template control/group exists - copy it
  - if not, create it dynamically, and then copy it

This way
  - the stack can be script-only
  - most instantiations take minimal time

> Which reminds me: before I run off an spend an afternoon writing one,
> has anyone here written a tool that reads a stack laid out with
> objects and produces the script needed to recreate it from a
> script-only stack?
>
> Seems tedious to write, but less tedious than writing instantiation
> code for every property of every object of every card of every stack I
> might make script-only.

Haven't done it - but I really should have done by now :-)

-- Alex.