64 bit desktop apps

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 15:16:08 EDT 2017

On 6/8/17 1:19 pm, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> On 2017-06-08 12:04, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
>> So, backwards compatibility does not interest you?
>
> Seriously - you ask that question?
>
> LiveCode 9 still happily runs stacks which were written in the early
> days of MetaCard.
>
> We are *extremely* careful not to break existing scripts and stacks -
> we either do accidentally (if that is so, we fix those issues with a
> high degree of priority); if intentionally then it is only for a very
> good reason.
>
>> I, for one, run Mac Machines running MacOS 10.4 PPC.
>
> LiveCode 6.6.5 was the last version of LiveCode to support PowerPC on
> Mac - so given we are talking about LiveCode *9* you point is entirely
> moot.
>
>> A lot of these machine are being dumped in poor countries where they
>> can be used
>> for good purposes.
>
> I appreciate that, but since Apple haven't supported PowerPC for a
> very long time, and their toolchains (the things we need to use to
> build the engine) haven't for a very long time - there's little hope
> of PowerPC being resurrected in a future LiveCode version unless
> someone stumps up a very very large amount of cash (we are talking on
> the order of $100,000+ as a start, and then a significant amount for
> ongoing maintenance) and even then finding reliable hardware which has
> the specs needed to do engine development is becoming increasingly
> difficult, if not impossible.

I'm afraid you misread my question. When I stated I was running MacOS
10.4 PPC it was not in expectation of your leaping
up and down and say "Well, yes, Just for you, Richmond, we're going to
set things up for future versions of LiveCode to
build Mac PPC standalones."

What I was concerned about was people running Early Intel Macintoshes
that have 32-bit processors.

> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mark.

Best, Richmond.