64 bit desktop apps

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Jun 8 06:19:28 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-08 12:04, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:
> So, backwards compatibility does not interest you?

Seriously - you ask that question?

LiveCode 9 still happily runs stacks which were written in the early
days of MetaCard.

We are *extremely* careful not to break existing scripts and stacks - we
either do accidentally (if that is so, we fix those issues with a high
degree of priority); if intentionally then it is only for a very good
reason.

> I, for one, run Mac Machines running MacOS 10.4 PPC.

LiveCode 6.6.5 was the last version of LiveCode to support PowerPC on
Mac - so given we are talking about LiveCode *9* you point is entirely
moot.

> A lot of these machine are being dumped in poor countries where they
> can be used
> for good purposes.

I appreciate that, but since Apple haven't supported PowerPC for a very
long time, and their toolchains (the things we need to use to build the
engine) haven't for a very long time - there's little hope of PowerPC
being resurrected in a future LiveCode version unless someone stumps up
a very very large amount of cash (we are talking on the order of
$100,000+ as a start, and then a significant amount for ongoing
maintenance) and even then finding reliable hardware which has the specs
needed to do engine development is becoming increasingly difficult, if
not impossible.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps