gitter

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sat Jul 29 18:49:47 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-30 00:10, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> Have I mentioned lately how much I hate submodules?

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate submodules? ;)

Actually, submodules actually do their job really quite well. They
aren't ideal, but they do enforce modularity (hence the name ;)). We
just need to get round to sorting out some tooling (local shell scripts
/ git hooks) to help make sure they aren't quite so easy to forget about
syncing properly.

That being said we are very gradually working towards eliminating the
third-party submodule.

However, the IDE submodule is set to stay (despite various discussions
about merging it internally - I've always said no, and I'm glad I have)
- indeed, the fact it is a separate submodule helps to put in place a
mechanism which ensures we won't have another 8.1.6-rc-2 type 'balls-up'
whilst doing user-testing :)

[ Something which is also on my list to post on - you're vehemence on
the subject which I must confess I cannot in anyway disagree with made
me come up with a solution to the problem - necessity being the mother
of invention and all! ]

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps