Web vs Native (was Re: HTML5 limitations?)

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sat Jul 29 17:13:34 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-29 13:10, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> So... if we use the wait command, and deploy to HTML5, the engine
> converts it to JavaScript with extra functions because the engine
> added in asynchronous timeouts? And you preserve all the variable
> values of the source LC script across these multiple functions?

Yes - that is essentially the 'asyncify' transformation as pertains to
'leaf' functions (those which call no other wait calling functions).

> This was the easy solution?

Easy is always a comparative assertion (there's a reason I always say:
'easy', for some definition of 'easy').

> Either I am misunderstanding, or the concept of what is difficult in
> Scotland is shedloads harder than what we puny Americans think.

Heh - I must confess first thing this morning (6am, after 4 hours sleep
- I perhaps shouldn't have stayed up until 2am writing that lengthy
email on this topic to here last night) I honestly couldn't 'parse' that
sentence. I know get it completely - I must make a mental note to
perhaps not read and reply to mailing lists until I've been awake for at
least an hour, and had a suitable amount of coffee :)

Anyway, this thread has now spiralled into a behemoth - so I'm going to
start a new one on this topic to stop it getting lost in a sea of
not-quite-related things.

[ Also it gives me something to do whilst flying over the USA -
currently somewhere between Kansas City and Springfield looking at our
trajectory (this brings up all kinds of images in my mind - Simpsons and
Wizard-of-Oz crossover anyone?) ]

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps