Web vs Native (was Re: HTML5 limitations?)

Jim Lambert jiml at netrin.com
Sat Jul 29 14:51:33 EDT 2017

On 7/28/17 1:14 PM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> I think the first thing we would need would be builtin
> gesture support. In this case, this isn't even 'a gesture has happened'
> but 'it looks like a swipe is just starting' (I think at least). e.g.
> swipeBegin / swipeContinue / swipeEnd / swipeCancel.
>
> We'd probably also want a 'swipe' message at the end - i.e. there are
> cases where it is the fact that 'swipe' has happened that you want, and
> not the details of the process it went through (perhaps swipeEnd would
> be fine here, though).
>
> I do like the idea of having the animation of a gesture in the UI being
> tied to the event - its a nice low-code approach for a very common
> problem.

How might LC support interactive and interruptible animations as shown in this video on Advanced Animations with UIKit?
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/230/ <https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/230/>

This capability is generally applicable to any animation using UIKit. Even non-moving transitions, such as blurring, are supported in an interactive way.
If supported by LC, it would be useable beyond just moving from card to card or swiping out a sidebar.

But of course, the particular capability shown in the video is OS-specific. Whereas LC strives to be platform agnostic.

Jim Lambert