Web vs Native (was Re: HTML5 limitations?)

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sat Jul 29 13:50:54 EDT 2017

Hey,

Mixed answer below:

> - when the app needs access to the phone's functions (notifications, GPS,
> screen dimming, text messages, etc)

There are Web APIs for:
* Geolocation https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Geolocation

* Notification (both local and push):
  - Push: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Push_API

* screen dimming: I don't know if you want to dim the screen or detect when
the screen was dimmed.
  - Page visibility API:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Page_Visibility_API

* Text messages: considered a high risk of privacy invasion and not allowed.

> - when it's important that at least some of the app's features work in
> degraded/denied signal environments (no/low data)

* Service workers can make your app work offline:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/ServiceWorker
* Online/Offline events:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Online_and_offline_events

> - when your users don't understand what they're doing and insist that they
> can't find your web app in the app store

* No solution there but you can always wrap it in phonegap and place it
there if you need.

> - when you want to ensure that you control the experience; a web app is
> accessed through the browser which means the browser's navigation and
> settings take priority

* PWAs once installed can hide the browser navigation controls.
  - more about them https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Apps/Progressive

Now, if we could get LC HTML deployment to generate PWAs, thing would be
awesome.
--
http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.