E.T.

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 03:53:12 EDT 2017

Let us suppose I have sold a 5 seat licence of some software to an
organisation and I don't
want its workers merrily taking copies of that software home to pop on
their home machines
as well as giving copies to Aunty Betty, Uncle Oswald and Cousin Jeff . . .

I would suppose I need that software to "phone home" and check itself
against a list (text document)
or something so that only 5 copies can function "out there", and if a
6th version phones home it
will do a "Peter Graves" and self-destruct.

Obviously this needs the end-user to have an active internet connexion,
at least when the program is
initially installed . . .

Richmond.