template stacks

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Fri Jul 28 18:29:05 EDT 2017

On 07/28/2017 10:33 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

>> And again, those refinements to the mobile-specific items in the New
>> Stack menu are a separate matter from settable dimensions for the
>> Default size.  In practice, new and old users alike will learn as soon
>> as they start laying out their controls that they will need different
>> sizes for different windows.
>
> Indeed - they are - I perhaps conflated the two. However, it has
> produced an interesting point of dicussion...
>
> If we can agree that it does make *some* sense to have preconfigured
> sizes in the New Stack menu (for the sake of argument at least - it is
> only real use in a measurable environment which can give us the numbers
> to know whether it does or does not make sense) - what could we do there
> to make it better. i.e. Provide the facility, without the downsides
> which you suggest (which are all entirely valid!).

I've taken a middle route for the Stack Factory in PowerTools:

In addition to a dozen or so predefined sizes there's a menuItem for
'custom'. That brings up a dialog box that allows you to select the
desired height and width. And then those values are stored in the
preferences file. After that point, in addition to the 'custom' menuItem
there is a 'Most Recent' menuItem for the value you stored in the custom
setting, so that you don't have to enter them again next time.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com