HTML5: mixed signals

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jul 28 17:14:07 EDT 2017

Again this is general and not specific. The case Richmond put forward is very much a case of over-reach from my point of view (it is quite possible that there was something in his contract there - probably obscurely worded, or it was the universities lawyers interpretation of statute).

I remember hearing about such things a few years ago in the UK with regard education - I didn't say I agreed with it :)

This is why contracts are important, there are there to protect both employer and employee - whether it be in the case of consultants, or full-time employ in a company. When we do consulting type work we always clearly define the IP and copyright assignments of what we produce - we don't sign until both sides are happy.

There's also a different between abstract principals and concrete deliverables. Hence the 'wars' over the validity of software patents (as an idea).

A tangible thing which does something is a little different from the abstract ideas it embodies. Most countries are still struggling to find out where the line is.

Then there are some schools of thought that say that patents in general are hurting innovation (they were evolved initially to help ensure it) others which still think they are vital. Go figure.

We live in wonderful, imperfect, grey world :)

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone