Importing Unicode from MySQL

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jul 28 13:23:23 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-28 15:24, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode wrote:
> SQL Yoga does not. I'm not familiar with the SET NAMES query so I don't
> know what the down sides are.

None as far as I can see :)

See:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/charset-connection.html

Basically SET NAMES and related SET commands in MySQL allow you to
configure the per-connection attributes which tell the MySQL server what
charset to send strings to the client in. MySQL 'knows' what charset
every string in its realm is encoded in, so can happily convert to any
other for specific clients - you just need to tell it what charset you
(as a client) are expecting.

In the case of SQLite its UTF-8 all the way down so the problem doesn't
come up.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I wasn't aware of the SET NAMES statement in MySQL until just now,
either :)

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps